quarter(redirected from ½)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial.
1. one of four equal or nearly equal parts of an object, quantity, amount, etc.
2. the fraction equal to one divided by four (1/4)
3. US and Canadian a quarter of a dollar; 25-cent piece
4. a unit of weight equal to a quarter of a hundredweight. 1 US quarter is equal to 25 pounds; 1 Brit quarter is equal to 28 pounds
5. short for quarter-hour
6. a fourth part of a year; three months
a. one fourth of the moon's period of revolution around the earth
b. either of two phases of the moon, first quarter or last quarter when half of the lighted surface is visible from the earth
8. Informal a unit of weight equal to a quarter of a pound or 4 ounces
9. Brit a unit of capacity for grain, etc., usually equal to 8 U.K. bushels
10. Nautical the part of a vessel's side towards the stern, usually aft of the aftermost mast
11. Nautical the general direction along the water in the quadrant between the beam of a vessel and its stern
12. a region or district of a town or city
13. a region, direction, or point of the compass
14. any of the four limbs, including the adjacent parts, of the carcass of a quadruped or bird
15. Vet science the side part of the wall of a horse's hoof
16. Military slang short for quartermaster
A unit of mass in use in the United States, equal to ¼ short ton, or 500 pounds, or 226.796185 kilograms.
A unit of mass used in troy measure, equal to ¼ troy hundredweight, or 25 troy pounds, or 9.33104304 kilograms. Abbreviated qr tr.
A unit of mass used in the United Kingdom, equal to ¼ hundredweight, or 28 pounds, or 12.70058636 kilograms. Abbreviated qr.
A unit of volume used in the United Kingdom for measurement of liquid and solid substances, equal to 8 bushels, or 64 gallons, or approximately 0.29094976 cubic meter.
Portions of a vessel's sides about midway between the stem and the middle and between the middle and the stern.
1. A small timber used as an upright stud in partitions to which the laths are nailed.
2. A square panel.