a consultative organ of the naval ministry established in Russia on Aug. 24, 1827, to replace the Admiralty College Board. In 1836 it acquired the functions of the supreme economic institution of the naval ministry, directing the economic departments.
The Admiralty Council included a chairman—the head of the chief naval staff—and members appointed by the emperor. In 1860 the functions of the council were expanded: it was to discuss legislative projects, proposed administrative instructions of the naval department, financial estimates, economic, and other affairs. The members of the Admiralty Council had the right to inspect fleets, ports, and naval installations. The council consisted of a chairman—the head of the fleet and the naval department, as of June 26 (July 9), 1906—the naval minister, the director of the Naval Ministry, and five members. On Mar. 5, 1907, the Admiralty Council became the highest organ of the fleet, subordinate directly to sovereign power. The council’s competence expanded further: it was to examine programs of ship construction, plans for navigation and battle staffing of the ships, economic affairs which exceeded the power of the minister, and so on. It was abolished by the Soviet decree of Nov. 23 (Dec. 6), 1917.
N. P. EROSHKIN