Ibragimov, Ali Izmailovich
Born Sept. 18 (Oct. 1), 1913, in the village of Ust’-Kara, in present-day Chita Oblast. Soviet governmental and party leader. Member of the CPSU since 1943.
Upon graduation from the M. Azizbekov Azerbaijan Industrial Institute in 1937, Ibragimov, the son of a peasant, headed the workshop of the Lieutenant Shmidt Plant in Baku (1937–38). From 1938 to 1940 he served in the Soviet Army. From 1941 to 1943 he was the head engineer of the Pervoe Maia Machine-building Plant and from 1943 to 1945 the director of the S. M. Kirov Machine-building Plant. In 1945 and 1946, Ibragimov worked at the Baku city committee of the Communist Party of Azerbaijan. From 1946 to 1948 he was the director of the Azneftemash trust. In 1948 and 1949 he was the assistant secretary of the Central Committee of the CPA, and in 1949 and 1950 the director of the committee’s transport department. From 1950 to 1953, Ibragimov served as the chairman of the Gosplan (State Planning Commission) of the Azerbaijan SSR. From 1953 to 1954 he was Gosplan’ s first deputy chairman and from 1954 to 1963 its chairman. From 1963 to 1965 he was the chairman of the planning commission of the Transcaucasian economic region (Tbilisi). From 1965 to 1970 he was the first deputy chairman of the Council of Ministers of Azerbaijan SSR; since April 1970 he has served as the council’s chairman.
Ibragimov is a member of the Council of Ministers of the USSR. At the Twenty-fourth Congress of the CPSU, he was elected a candidate member of the Central Committee. He was a deputy to the seventh, eighth, and ninth convocations of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR. Ibragimov has been awarded the Order of Lenin, three other orders, and several medals.