Allegan County

Also found in: Wikipedia.

Allegan County, Michigan

113 Chestnut St
Allegan, MI 49010
Phone: (269) 673-0450
Fax: (269) 673-0298

On the southwestern coast of MI, bordered on the west by Lake Michigan; established Mar 2, 1831 (prior to statehood) from Kalamazoo County. Name Origin: Named for the Allegan (Alleghen) Indian tribe by Henry Rowe Schoolcraft (1793-1864), explorer, MI legislator, author, and superintendent of Indian Affairs for MI (1836-41)

Area (sq mi):: 1833.30 (land 827.46; water 1005.83) Population per square mile: 136.80
Population 2005: 113,174 State rank: 18 Population change: 2000-20005 7.10%; 1990-2000 16.70% Population 2000: 105,665 (White 91.00%; Black or African American 1.30%; Hispanic or Latino 5.70%; Asian 0.60%; Other 4.60%). Foreign born: 2.90%. Median age: 35.20
Income 2000: per capita $19,918; median household $45,813; Population below poverty level: 7.30% Personal per capita income (2000-2003): $26,396-$26,190
Unemployment (2004): 6.60% Unemployment change (from 2000): 2.00% Median travel time to work: 23.40 minutes Working outside county of residence: 50.20%

Cities with population over 10,000: None

See other counties in .
References in periodicals archive ?
A new three-year deal has received nod from the Dorr Township board members with Bobs Disposal Service and a one-year expansion on an interlocal deal with The Allegan County Resource Recovery Program.
A Survey of the Geologic Histories of Allegan County Bogs.
The NNA's current president, Cheryl Kaechele of Michigan's the Allegan County News, told Columbia public radio station KBIA that there were no specifics around the change.
I was hunting Allegan County in Michigan and the weather that Friday afternoon was a little warm and in the 60s.
It had been in operation since the 1895, originally created as a dairy cooperative by a group of Allegan County farmers.
Allegan County emergency dispatchers reportedly received a call alerting them to an orange aircraft that had just fallen from the sky.
In Michigan, more than 200 students will research a hybrid wind and solar generator and solar water heater under a proposal developed by the Allegan County Community Foundation.
1 The Allegan County Health Department (ACHD) collects water samples and needs to have them analyzed for various substances.
Approximately 99% of the city is situated in Van Buren County with the remaining 1% located in Allegan County.
Board of Directors and Allegan County Commissioner Jon Campbell.
The odorless, pathogen and weed-seed-free nutrient pellets can be broadcasted onto fields in a single annual application (reducing soil compaction, traffic and vehicle emissions) at agronomic rates, sold outside of Allegan County to a host of commercial opportunities, or used as replacement bedding for dairy cows.
The foundation this month approved $25,000 grants for the Calhoun County portion of the Great Lake to Lake Trail and the Blue Star Trail, between South Haven and Saugatuck in Allegan County.