load(redirected from Alois Alzheimer)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Wikipedia.
in electrical engineering, the electric power delivered by a power source to a power user. If variations in voltage are small, load can be characterized by magnitude of current. The term “load” is also often applied to the device consuming the electric power—that is, to a piece of equipment, such as a motor or a lighting device.
All loads in DC circuits are resistive loads; loads in AC circuits, however, may be resistive or reactive. A resistive load is expressed as the power used, for example, to produce heat or to do mechanical work (as in a heating or lighting device). A reactive load reflects the exchange of energy between the source and the power-consuming device—for example, between a power system and the primary winding of a transformer operating at no load.
load(1) To copy a program from a storage drive or the network into RAM for execution. In the early days, programs were loaded first and then run. Today, when referring to applications, loading implies load and run. The phrases "load the app," "run the app," "launch the app" and "open the app" are all used synonymously.
People often use the term erroneously to refer to installations; therefore, "load the program" may also mean "install the program." See install program and open.
(2) To copy data or programs onto a drive.
(3) To insert a removable cartridge into a drive.
(4) To insert a flash drive into a USB port.
(5) In programming, to store data in a register.
(6) In performance measurement, the current use of a system as a percentage of total capacity.
(7) The flow of current through a circuit. The load is the amount of power used by electrical and electronic equipment.
(8) The volume of traffic in a network.