Baptized Mar. 19, 1601, in Granada; died there Sept. 3, 1667. Spanish sculptor and painter, representative of the baroque style.
Cano began studying under J. Moñténes and F. Pacheco in Sevilla in 1616. He worked there until 1637. He subsequently worked in Madrid, Valencia, and Granada (from 1652). Maintaining the traditions of painted wooden sculpture, Cano’s polychromatic sculptures are imposing and are characterized by subtle spirituality and eloquent expressiveness. Examples of his sculpture are the retables of the Church of Santa Maria in Le-brija (near Sevilla, 1628–38) and the statues and busts of saints in the Granada Cathedral (1658–60). Cano’s paintings, which are characterized by idealization of forms, external prettiness, and Italian artistic influences, are less distinctive than his sculptures. His paintings include The Virgin Presenting the Infant Christ to St. Anthony (1645–52, Prado, Madrid) and the series Seven Joys of the Virgin (1652–64, Granada Cathedral). In 1703, Cano’s design for the western facade of the Granada Cathedral was carried out by the architect J. Granados.