Amur Flotilla

Amur Flotilla

 

river flotilla in the Far East. In 1900 a temporary flotilla of armed private steamboats and barges was formed on the Amur River which carried military transport during the Russo-Japanese War of 1904–05. Officially the Amur flotilla was formed in July 1906 for the defense of the frontier line of the Amur basin and for the protection of the communications on the Amur River. In 1910 the Amur flotilla numbered 28 craft including eight tur-reted and ten smaller gunboats. In December 1917 the Soviet Amur flotilla, which took part in the Civil War, was formed. In 1918 it was captured by the Japanese, who in May 1920 removed almost all the vessels. After the end of the Civil War in the Far East the flotilla began to be restored. In 1925–26 it was reinforced with the ships that the Japanese returned. In 1929 it was assigned four monitors and other vessels. In 1930 the Amur flotilla was awarded the Order of the Red Banner for its successful military actions during the Soviet-Chinese conflict of 1929. During the Soviet-Japanese War of 1945 the Amur flotilla (eight monitors, 11 gunboats, 52 armored boats, and others) under the command of Rear Admiral N. V. Antonov operated jointly with the forces of the First and Second Far Eastern Fronts on the riverbanks of the Amur, Ussuri, and Sungari and on Lake Khanka.

REFERENCES

Tikhookeanskii flot. Moscow, 1966.
Vnotchenko, L. N. Pobeda na Dal’nem Vostoke. Moscow, 1966.
Gel’fond, G. M. Sovetskii flot v voine s laponiei. Moscow, 1958.
Krasnoznamennaia Amurskaia flotiliia. Moscow, 1946.

A. IA. PYSHKIN