Munster(redirected from An Mhumhain)
Also found in: Dictionary, Wikipedia.
Münster(mün`stər), city (1994 pop. 267,367), North Rhine–Westphalia, W Germany, a port and industrial center on the Dortmund-Ems Canal. Its manufactures include heavy machinery and textiles. The city is also a trade center for the Westphalian cattle market. Münster was founded (c.800) as a Carolingian episcopal see. Its bishops ruled a large part of Westphalia as princes of the Holy Roman Empire from the 12th cent. until 1803, when the bishopric was secularized. From the 14th cent. the city was a prominent member of the Hanseatic League, trading especially with England and Russia. In 1534–35 it was the scene of the Anabaptist experimental government under John of LeidenJohn of Leiden,
c.1509–1536, Dutch Anabaptist leader. His original name was Beuckelszoon, Beuckelzoon, Bockelszoon, Bockelson, Beukels, or Buckholdt. John of Leiden was attracted to the extreme left of the early Reformation movement through the influence of Thomas
..... Click the link for more information. . In 1648 the Treaty of Münster was signed there (see Westphalia, Peace ofWestphalia, Peace of,
1648, general settlement ending the Thirty Years War. It marked the end of the Holy Roman Empire as an effective institution and inaugurated the modern European state system.
..... Click the link for more information. ). Münster passed to Prussia in 1816 and became the capital of the province of Westphalia. It was severely damaged in World War II but was rebuilt after 1945. Münster still retains some of its medieval character. Its historical buildings include the cathedral (13th cent.), the Lambertikirche (14th–15th cent.), the Liebfrauenkirche (14th cent.), and several other churches, in addition to a baroque palace (1767–73), a Gothic city hall (14th cent.), and several gabled houses. The city is the seat of a university and contains the Westphalian state museum.
Munster(mŭn`stər), province (1991 pop. 1,009,533), 9,315 sq mi (24,126 sq km), SW Republic of Ireland. The largest of the Irish provinces, it comprises the counties of ClareClare,
county (1991 pop. 90,918), 1,231 sq mi (3,188 sq km), W Republic of Ireland, between Galway Bay and the Shannon River. The county and Roman Catholic seat is Ennis. The terrain is broken and hilly, with many bogs and lakes; the coastline is especially rugged.
..... Click the link for more information. , CorkCork,
county (1991 pop. 410,369), 2,881 sq mi (7,462 sq km), SW Republic of Ireland. Cork is the county seat. Largest of the Irish counties, it has a rocky and much-indented coastline (Bantry, Dunmanus, Roaringwater, Courtmarsherry, Clonakilty, and Youghal bays, and Kinsale and
..... Click the link for more information. , KerryKerry,
county (1991 pop. 121,894), 1,815 sq mi (4,701 sq km), SW Republic of Ireland. The county town is Tralee. Kerry consists of a series of mountainous peninsulas that extend into the Atlantic. The shoreline is deeply indented by Dingle Bay, Tralee Bay, and the Kenmare River.
..... Click the link for more information. , LimerickLimerick
, county (1991 pop. 161,956), 1,037 sq mi (2,686 sq km), SW Republic of Ireland. Limerick is the county seat. The region is an agricultural plain lying S of the Shannon estuary.
..... Click the link for more information. , TipperaryTipperary
, county (1991 pop. 132,772), 1,643 sq mi (4,255 sq km), S central Republic of Ireland. The county seat is Tipperary. Administratively, the county is divided into North Riding (its administrative center at Nenagh) and South Riding (its administrative center at Clonmel).
..... Click the link for more information. , and WaterfordWaterford
, county (1991 pop. 91,624), 710 sq mi (1,839 sq km), S Republic of Ireland. The county seat is the port town of Waterford. Although the terrain is largely hilly, there are lowlands in the east.
..... Click the link for more information. . One of the ancient kingdoms of Ireland, its control passed, after the Anglo-Norman invasion of Ireland, to the well-known families of the Fitzgeralds (earls of Desmond) and the Butlers (earls of Ormonde).
Munster,town (1990 pop. 19,949), Lake co., NW Ind. It is a primarily residential suburb in the industrialized Hammond–East Chicago area. There is some light manufacturing.
a province in the southwestern part of the Republic of Ireland, located in the Shannon river basin. It comprises the counties of Kerry, Cork, Limerick, Tipperary, Clare, and Waterford. Area, 25,000 sq km. Population, 882,000 (1971). Its principal cities are Cork, Limerick, and Waterford. The province is an important livestock-raising region, specializing in dairy products and meat (sheep, pigs, and cattle). Oats and potatoes are cultivated; there is also fishing. Munster has food-processing, textile, chemical, and machine-building industries.
a city in the Federal Republic of Germany, in the Land (state) of North Rhine-Westphalia; situated on the Dortmund-Elms Canal and the Aa River. Population, 198,900 (1971).
Commerce and transport are important in the economy of the city. Münster is a major railroad and highway junction, and the port handles 1.4 million tons of freight (1971). The main industries are food-processing (distilleries, breweries, and dairies) and textiles. Agricultural machinery is built and metal goods are produced. Handicrafts are also important. Münster has a university and museums.
The city grew out of a bishopric founded in the late eighth century. In the 12th century it was granted a city charter. From the 12th century, its bishops became princes of the Holy Roman Empire (principes imperii). During the 14th to 16th centuries, Münster was a significant commercial center and was a member of the Hanseatic League. In the mid-15th century, the guilds received representation in the city council on an equal basis with the nobility; later they took complete control of the council. The culmination of an acute social and political struggle was the establishment of the revolutionary Münster Commune by the Anabaptists in 1534–35. In the mid-17th century, urban self-government was abolished by the bishop. In 1803 the Münster bishopric was secularized, and the church lands and the city of Münster became part of Prussia. Münster became the capital of the Prussian province of Westphalia.