Andrei Onufrievich Bembel
Bembel’, Andrei Onufrievich
Born Oct. 17 (30), 1905, in Velizh Vitebsk Province. Soviet sculptor; People’s Artist of the Byelorussian SSR (1955). Member of the CPSU since 1952.
Bembel’ studied at the Vitebsk Art Technicum (1924–27) and Leningrad Academy of Arts (1927–31). From 1950 to 1954, Bembel’ was chairman of the Board of the Union of Artists of the Byelorussian SSR. Since 1953 he has been teaching in the Byelorussian Theatrical Art Institute. (He has been a professor there since 1966.)
The works of Bembel’ include bas reliefs in the Byelorussian SSR House of Government in Minsk (plaster, 1932–36, in cooperation with G. K. Izmailov and V. N. Ritter), a bust of N. F. Gastello (bronze, 1943, Art Museum of the Byelorussian SSR, Minsk), the monumental statue Socialist Byelorussia for the Byelorussian pavilion at the All-Union Agriculture Exhibition (cement and smalt, 1950–51), and a bust of D. G. Guliaev (plaster, 1967). Bembel’ is one of the creators of the memorial complex Burial Mound of Glory (at the 21st km of the highway from Minsk to Moscow; 1969). Bembel’ has been awarded three orders, as well as medals.