Andronik Monastery

Andronik Monastery

 

(full name: Andronik Spasa Nerukotvornogo Monastery), founded circa 1360 by Metropolitan Aleksei in Moscow, on the left bank of the Iauza River. An outpost on the southeast approaches to Moscow, the monastery protected the city from the Mongolian Tatars. It was named after its first abbot, Andronik, a disciple of Sergii Radonezhskii. From the end of the 14th century the copying of books was carried on at the Andronik Monastery. During the years 1420–27 the white stone, four-columned Spasskii Cathedral was built; in it have been preserved small fragments of frescoes (from the 1420’s), executed under the supervision of Daniil Chernyi and Andrei Rublev, who spent the last years of his life at the Andronik Monastery and was buried there. Also preserved is the single-columned refectory (1504) with a church (1694). The walls and towers were built in the 17th century. F. G. Volkov, the founder of Russian theater, is buried in the Andronik Monastery. In 1947 it was declared a museum-preserve of Old Russian art and named after Andrei Rub-lev; it was opened after restoration in 1960.

REFERENCE

Tikhomirov, M. N. Srednevekovaia Moskva νXIV-XV vv. Moscow, 1957.