Archaeological Commission

Archaeological Commission

 

an organizational and scientific center of Russian prerevolutionary archaeology. Located in St. Petersburg, it was founded in 1859. Its chairmen were S. G. Stroganov, A. A. Vasil’chikov, and A. A. Bobrinskii. In 1889 the Archaeological Commission was granted exclusive rights for approving and supervising excavations on state municipal and peasant lands. The commission conducted work in the preservation and restoration of ancient monumental remains. It published the annual journals Otchety from 1859 to 1913/15 (1862–1918) and Izvestiia from 1901 to 1918. The commission also issued Materialy po arkheologii Rossii (37 vols., 1866–1918) and separate high-quality publications. In 1919 the Archaeological Commission was disbanded, and the functions of a coordinating center of Soviet archaeology were entrusted to the newly organized Russian Academy of the History of Material Culture in Petrograd.

References in periodicals archive ?
The Imperial Archaeological Commission was a governmental organization whose members dealt with different kinds of archaeological problems all around Russia; however, Russian senior clerks had only vague ideas about archaeology and about the direction of studying and saving the country's heritage.
Nevertheless, the conception of archaeology that predominated in the Imperial Archaeological Commission was very close to the modern understanding of this science.
From 1901 the archaeological commission therefore directed its attention mainly to the material remains from the Hindu and Buddhist past, with the restoration of Borobudur (1907-1911) as its main focus and most visible success.
News of the government's decision to invest in the restoration of Borobudur (in the wake of the installation of the Archaeological Commission in 1901) reached readers of the (government-supported) Sumatran journal Insulinde, a Malay-language monthly that advocated local progress and modernity.

Full browser ?