Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
Balaklava(bələklä`və), section of the city of SevastopolSevastopol
, formerly spelled Sebastopol, city (1989 pop. 355,000), on the Crimean peninsula and the Bay of Sevastopol, an inlet of the Black Sea. From 1954 part of Ukraine (then the Ukrainian SSR), it passed to Russian control in 2014 after the occupation and annexation of
..... Click the link for more information. , on the Crimean peninsula. In ancient times it was an important Greek commercial city. In the Middle Ages it belonged to the Genoese until it was taken (1475) by the Turks, who gave it its present name. In the Crimean WarCrimean War
, 1853–56, war between Russia on the one hand and the Ottoman Empire, Great Britain, France, and Sardinia on the other. The causes of the conflict were inherent in the unsolved Eastern Question.
..... Click the link for more information. , Balaklava became famous for an allied victory (Oct., 1854) over the Russians and particularly for the charge of the Light Brigade, celebrated by Tennyson. On Oct. 25, through a disputed error in orders, the earl of CardiganCardigan, James Thomas Brudenell, 7th earl of,
1797–1868, British general. In the Crimean War he led the disastrous cavalry charge at Balaklava (1854) that Tennyson immortalized in
..... Click the link for more information. led an English light cavalry brigade of some 670 in a hopeless charge on a heavily protected Russian position, and more than two thirds of his men were killed or wounded. Balaklava was the capital of the former Balaklava dist. in the Crimean region until 1957, when it was incorporated into Sevastopol. There are ruins of a Genoese fortress (14th–15th cent.) in Balaklava.
a City-raion of Sevastopol’. Until 1957 it was a city of the Crimean Oblast, Ukrainian SSR.
Balaklava is mentioned by Fannius Strabo, Ptolemy, and other ancient authors under the name of Symbalon. From the ninth to the 13th century Symbalon, like other cities of the Black Sea coast, traded with Russia. In 1357 it was conquered by the Genoese, and in 1475 by the Turks, who named it Balaklava, meaning fish nest. In 1783, Balaklava became part of Russia along with the entire Crimea. During the Crimean War of 1853–56, a battle was fought near Balaklava. The Soviet power was established in Balaklava in January 1918. During the Civil War and the military intervention of 1918–20, Balaklava was occupied by the White Guards and liberated by the Red Army in November 1920. During the Great Patriotic War, the workers of Balaklava took part in the partisan movement against the German fascist invaders, who had temporarily occupied the Crimea. Balaklava is located on the shores of a narrow and deep bay. Walls and towers of the 15th century Genoese fortress have been preserved.