Bardin, Ivan Pavlovich
Bardin, Ivan Pavlovich
Born Nov. 1 (13), 1883, in the village of Shirokii Ustup, Saratov Province; died Jan. 7, 1960, in Moscow. Soviet metallurgist. Academician of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR (1932). Hero of Socialist Labor (1945). Graduated from Kiev Polytechnic Institute (1910).
In 1910 and 1911, Bardin was a worker, first in plants in the USA and then in metallurgical plants in the south of Russia (for example, in Iuzovka and Enakievo). From 1929 to 1936 he was one of the directors of the construction of the Kuznetsk metallurgical combine. From 1937 he held responsible positions in ferrous metallurgy (for example, chief engineer of the main administrative board, chairman of the Technical Council of the People’s Commissariat, and deputy people’s commissar of ferrous metallurgy), participating actively in the elaboration of major questions of technical policy. He was the director of the Institute of Metallurgy of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR (from 1939) and the Central Scientific Research Institute of Ferrous Metallurgy (from 1944); the latter bore his name from 1960. Bardin was vice-president of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR from 1942. During the Great Patriotic War (1941–45), he directed the academy’s work of mobilizing the resources of the eastern regions of the USSR for defense needs. His work in mobilizing the resources of the Urals was honored by the State Prize of the USSR (1942). His main works encompassed the following questions: the planning of powerful, new, completely mechanized metallurgical plants; the creation of the most highly perfected standard metallurgical plant units; the intensification of metallurgical processes, especially with the aid of oxygen; and the assimilation and comprehensive exploitation of new forms of metallurgical raw materials. For his work on the intensification of the Martin process by means of the application of oxygen, he was awarded the State Prize of the USSR (1949). In 1958, Bardin was awarded the Lenin Prize for his work on the creation of the first industrial plants for the continuous casting of steel. He was a member of the Chief Editorial Board of the second edition of the Great Soviet Encyclopedia. He was a deputy to the first through fifth convocations of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR. He was awarded seven Orders of Lenin as well as medals.