(until 1925, Spassk), city and administrative center in Bednodem’ianovsk Raion of Penza Oblast, RSFSR. Situated 30 km southeast of the Zubova Poliana railroad station, with which it is connected by a highway. Population, 7,600 (1968). Creamery and technicum for the mechanization of agriculture. Decorative ceramics are produced. Bednodem’ianovsk originated in 1647 as the village of Bogdanovo and became a city in 1779. It was renamed in honor of the poet Dem’ian Bednyi.