Belopol’skii, Iakov Borisovich
Born Apr. 23 (May 6), 1916, in Kiev. Soviet architect. Honored Builder of the RSFSR (1967). Member of the CPSU since 1943.
Belopol’skii studied in the Moscow Architectural Institute (1932–37) and has been teaching there since 1955. He participated in the projects for the reconstruction and development of Moscow and is one of the designers of the plans for developing the Iugo-Zapadnyi Raion (1952–66) and the Frunze Boardwalk (1953–67); the plans for the circus buildings under construction on Vernadskii Avenue; and plans for the libraries of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR, the Academy of Medical Sciences of the USSR, and the P. Lumumba Friendship of Peoples University. With E. V. Vuchetich he created the memorial complexes of monuments to members of the Soviet Army in Treptow Park in Berlin (1946–49; USSR State Prize, 1950) and on the Mamaev Hill in Volgograd (1967; Lenin Prize, 1970). He was awarded the Order of Lenin, the Badge of Honor, and medals.