Belvedere


Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Wikipedia.

Belvedere

(bĕl`vədēr, Ital. bālvādĕ`rā), court of the Vatican named after a villa built (1485–87) for Innocent VIII. The villa was decorated with frescoes by Pinturicchio and others; a chapel painted by Mantegna was demolished when the villa was made part of the Museo Pio-Clementino at the end of the 18th cent. The Belvedere court, connecting the villa and the Vatican, was designed (1503–4) by Bramante for Julius II to include an architectural garden, a permanent theater, a museum building, and a statue court. The Laocoön, discovered in 1506, was placed in the statue court; in 1511 the Apollo Belvedere (see under ApolloApollo
, in Greek religion and mythology, one of the most important Olympian gods, concerned especially with prophecy, medicine, music and poetry, archery, and various bucolic arts, particularly the care of flocks and herds.
..... Click the link for more information.
, in Greek religion) was installed in a special niche. When Bramante died in 1514, only a portion of the Belvedere was completed; many modifications were made under a succession of architects including Giuliano Sangallo, Raphael, Peruzzi, and Antonio Sangallo. Now a museum, the Belvedere still contains the Laocoön and the Apollo as well as other rare works of classical antiquity.

Bibliography

See study by J. S. Ackerman (1954).

Belvedere

A building, architectural feature, or rooftop pavilion from which a vista can be enjoyed.

Belvedere

 

(1) A tower, superstructure (most often round), or small, separate structure on an elevated spot, looking out on a distant view.

(2) The customary name for some palace structures located in beautiful natural settings, such as the summer residence of the pope in the Vatican (15th—16th centuries) and palaces in Prague (1536–60, architects G. Spatio and others), Vienna (1714–24, architect L. Hildebrandt), and Warsaw (1818–22, architect Ia. Kubitskii).

belvedere

belvedere, 1 of the Vatican
1. A rooftop pavilion from which a vista can be enjoyed.
2. A gazebo.
3. A mirador.

belvedere

a building, such as a summerhouse or roofed gallery, sited to command a fine view
References in periodicals archive ?
For the time being, Prince is using Bell's condo at Belvedere as his base camp when he is in town.
In January 1999, Holliday Fenoglio Fowler and Pembroke Realty arranged $50 million in acquisition financing on behalf of the group led by Angelo Gordon and Belvedere Capital for the purchase of Chelsea Market and the adjacent office building located at 85 Tenth Avenue.
Currently we have 1 private company under contract with Belvedere, that will be part of the assets we merge into Shaka.
Spokesperson for Belvedere, Mo Bosch, said: "It was a fantastic visit.
Prince remains in effective control of the club's operations and extended his role as the unwelcome houseguest to include appropriating Bell's Belvedere condo.
Belvedere Capital, a real estate investment company that has acquired more than 8 million square feet of commercial properties and hundreds of residential apartments over the past two years; and Scoggin Capital.
The three-course Belvedere brunch begins with an assortment of appetizers delivered to each table and ends with a buffet of desserts.
ob) has chosen to renew its agreement with Belvedere Global Strategies (BGS).
28, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Belvedere Vodka, the world's first super premium vodka, announces the launch of its first ever laser cut bottle with LED technology, the Belvedere Silver Saber .
Belvedere Schools Ltd, a collaboration between the Academy and Belvedere Preparatory School in Princes Park, opened the 'Belvedere British School' in Abu Dhabi last week.
Hollywood stars and LA's finest attended Belvedere Vodka's pre-Grammy party at Avalon to celebrate its partnership with (RED)[TM] to raise proceeds for the Global Fund - among the world's leadingfinanciers of programs to fight HIV/AIDS in Africa.
Selling agents Chamberlaines & Stephens of Church Stretton, say the Belvedere offers a rare opportunity to acquire a prestigious, privately owned and run licensed guest house in the principal south Shropshire tourist town.