(until 1957, Ugol’nyi), an urban-type settlement; administrative center of Beringovskii Raion, Chukchi National Okrug, Magadan Oblast, RSFSR. Port on the Gulf of Anadyr in the Bering Sea. Population, 2,200 (1968).
Coal has been mined in Beringovskii since 1941. There are plants producing reinforced-concrete goods and wall-building materials, as well as a brewery. Beringovskii was renamed in honor of V. Bering.