Also found in: Dictionary.
Bielsko-Biała(byĕl`skô byä`lä), Ger. Bielitz, city (1993 est. pop. 185,000), Śląskie prov., S Poland, on the Biała River, a tributary of the Vistula. The city is a railway junction and has a noted woolen textile industry. Other manufactures include machines for the mining and chemical industries. It is also a tourist and winter sports center. Founded in the 13th cent., the city passed to Austria in 1772 and was returned to Poland in 1919. It was called Bielsko until 1950, when it joined the town of Biała, across the river, to form a single city.
a city in southern Poland, in Katowice Province, on the Biala River (a tributary of the Vistula), in the Carpathian foothills. Population, 87,000 (1968).
Bielsko-Biała is a railroad junction; it is also the center of the oldest textile region in the country (mostly, the wool and flax industries). The main branches of industry are electrical engineering, textile machine building, and the production of automobile motors and lifting cranes. Bielsko-Biala was constituted in 1950 from the two cities of Bielsko (founded in the 14th century) and Biala.