Also found in: Dictionary, Wikipedia.
, Belarusian Babruysk, city (1989 pop. 221,166), central Belarus, a port on the Berezina River. It is also a railway junction and a machinery and chemical manufacturing center. Bobruysk was founded in the 16th cent.
..... Click the link for more information. , Belarus.
city in Mogilev Oblast, Byelorussian SSR; a harbor on the Berezina River and a transport junction. Population, 138,000 (1970; up from 84,000 in 1939). Bobruisk has a woodworking industry, including a plywood combine and two furniture factories; a machine-building industry, including the Lenin Machine Building Plant, a plant for tractor parts and assemblies, an agricultural machinery plant, and a scale factory; a chemical industry, including a hydrolysis plant and an industrial rubber products plant; a food-processing industry, including a winery, a creamery, meat and dairy plants, and canneries; and light industry, including a leather combine, three garment factories, a fur factory, a knitwear factory, a shoe factory, and fine crafts production. Construction on a large tire factory began in 1970. Bobruisk produces building materials. The city has technicums for rubber production, lumber processing, auto transport, and agriculture, as well as a medical school. There is a dramatic theater, two folk theaters, and a museum of local lore, history, and economy.
The earliest reference to Bobruisk dates to the first half of the 14th century. In 1649 it became part of Poland. In 1793 it was annexed to Russia and became a district administrative center two years later. In 1810 construction began on the Bobruisk Fortress (completed in 1820), which successfully withstood a siege by Napoleonic troops in 1812. During the Great Patriotic War of 1941–45, Bobruisk was occupied by German fascist troops from the end of June 1941, until June 29, 1944. Soviet troops surrounded and destroyed a large grouping of German fascist forces near Bobruisk in 1944.
REFERENCESBobruisk: Istoriko-ekonomicheskii ocherk. Minsk, 1965.
Bobruisk: Putevoditel’ dlia turistov. Minsk, 1968.