Bogalusa (bōgəlo͞o`sə), city (1990 pop. 14,280), Washington parish, SE La.; inc. 1914. It is a manufacturing and trading center of the Pearl River valley. Its name derives from the Native American–named creek, Bogue Lusa ("smoky or dark waters"), that flows through the city. Bogalusa was founded in 1906 when the lumber industry established operations in the region's extensive pine woods. Manufactures include textiles, fabricated metal and wood products, food, machinery, and furniture. Louisiana State Univ.'s forestry school is located there.