Also found in: Wikipedia.
city in Novgorod Oblast, RSFSR, on the Msta River. It is connected by a railroad branch (30 km) with the Uglovka railroad station (on the Moscow-Leningrad line). Population, 56,000 (1969). The city has a refractory materials combine and produces equipment and spare parts for enterprises of the woodworking industry and light industry. There is a paper mill, spinning and furniture factories, and knitted-goods, clothing, food-processing and other enterprises. It also has an industrial technicum, an automobile and highway technicum, a medical school, a pedagogical school, and a museum of local lore. The city was formed in 1770.