Briansk Principality

Briansk Principality

 

founded in 1246 by Prince Roman Chernigovskii, who transferred his capital there from Chernigov, which had been destroyed by Batu. In the late 13th and early 14th centuries, the Briansk principality was one of the strongest in the Chernigov-Seversk land; it waged war continually with Smolensk and Lithuania. In the early 14th century the principality experienced many feudal internecine wars. In 1356, Olgerd conquered it, and the principality became part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania and was administered by vassal princes and vicegerents. Russian troops conquered Briansk in 1500, and it became part of the Muscovite state.

REFERENCE

Bagalei, D. Istoriia Severskoi zemli do poloviny XIV st. Kiev, 1882.
Mentioned in ?