Byelorussian Polytechnic Institute

Byelorussian Polytechnic Institute

 

founded at Minsk in 1933 on the basis of the Minsk institutes of chemical engineering, construction, power, peat, and food; and the Goretskii Water Management Institute.

In 1969 there were 12 departments at the institute: motor and tractor, machine building, mechanical engineering, power engineering, civil engineering, hydraulic and highway engineering, process engineering, engineering economics, engineering education, peat, evening general technology, and correspondence general technology. In 1969 there were branches of the general technology department in the cities of Vitebsk, Gomel’, and Zhodino; a graduate school and ten scientific research laboratories; and 892,000 volumes in the library. During 1969 more than 19,000 students studied at the institute, and 1,300 instructors, including 32 professors and doctors of science, and about 350 readers and degree candidates, worked in the 70 subdepartments. The institute was authorized to grant candidate’s and doctoral degrees in the technical sciences.

During its existence the institute has trained more than 22,000 engineers. The Mogilev Mechanical Engineering Institute and the Minsk Radio Engineering Institute were created on the basis of the departments of the Byelorussian Polytechnic Institute. Since 1937 the Byelorussian Polytechnic Institute has published Sb. nauchnykh trudov (Collection of Scientific Work) and scientific and educational literature. In 1967 the institute was awarded the Order of the Red Banner of Labor.

L. S. LIAKHOVICH

References in periodicals archive ?
Sorsher received a Master of Science and Bachelor of Science in electrical engineering from Byelorussian Polytechnic Institute, USSR.