Candela, Felix(fā`lēks kändā`lä), 1910–, Mexican architect, b. Madrid. Candela studied in Madrid but was forced to flee Spain after his participation in the Spanish civil war. He went to Mexico in 1939 and set up his own construction firm, gaining renown for his design of thin-shelled concrete domes. Among his best-known works are the Cosmic Ray Pavilion (1950–51) for Mexico's University City; the Church of La Virgen Milagrosa (1953), Mexico City; and Los Manantiales restaurant (1958), Xochimilco.
See study by C. Faber (1963).
Born Jan. 27, 1910, in Madrid. Mexican architect and engineer.
In 1935, Candela graduated from the Higher School of Architecture in Madrid. He participated in the Spanish Civil War of 1936–39 and emigrated to Mexico in 1939. Candela designed thin-shell reinforced-concrete roofs of various shapes, some of which are particularly unusual; for example, he developed thin-walled coverings in the form of hyperbolic paraboloids. His roof designs made possible the use of low-cost sheathing made out of straight boards. In collaboration with other architects, Candela constructed a number of industrial and commercial buildings, as well as several laboratories and churches. In 1954 he built the Church of the Virgin of the Miraculous Medal in Mexico, which is distinguished by its complex and irrational spatial structure.