Thurgau(redirected from Canton Thurgau)
Also found in: Dictionary, Wikipedia.
Thurgau(to͞or`gou), canton (1993 pop. 213,200), 388 sq mi (1,005 sq km), NE Switzerland. Bordered in the north by Lake Constance and watered by the Thur River, Thurgau is a fertile and cultivated region. Cereals and fruit are grown, cattle are raised, and wine is produced. It has several industrial towns, notably Arbon and FrauenfeldFrauenfeld
, city (1993 pop. 20,300), capital of Thurgau canton, NE Switzerland, on the Murg River. Although it produces textiles, metal products, and food preserves, it is chiefly known for its 13th-century castle (now a museum), which was the seat (1712–98) of the federal diet.
..... Click the link for more information. , the capital of the canton. Manufactures include textiles, motor vehicles, and shoes. The population is mainly Protestant and German-speaking. Thurgau was acquired (1264) by the Hapsburgs and was conquered (1460) by the Swiss cantons; it was ruled by the cantons until 1798, when the French invaded Switzerland. In 1803 it became a canton of Switzerland.
a canton of NE Switzerland, on Lake Constance: annexed by the confederated Swiss states in 1460. Capital: Frauenfeld. Pop.: 229 800 (2002 est.). Area: 1007 sq. km (389 sq. miles)