(1) In Prussia from 1733 to 1813, military recruits subject to conscription from one district (Kanton), each of which recruited its own regiment.
(2) In Russia from 1805, the term “cantonist” was applied to soldiers’ sons who were registered at the military department from the day of their birth. To train soldiers’ children for military service, garrison schools were opened as early as 1721; in 1798 they were renamed military orphans divisions, and in 1805 their wards began to be called cantonists. In 1824 the cantonists were placed under the authority of the department of military settlements. The category of cantonists was abolished in 1856.