Kaliakra

(redirected from Cape Kaliakra)
Also found in: Wikipedia.

Kaliakra

 

a cape on the coast of the Black Sea in northeastern Bulgaria near which, on July 31 (Aug. 11), 1791, occurred the naval battle that ended the Russo-Turkish War of 1787–91.

The Russian squadron (16 battleships, two frigates, and 19auxiliary vessels), commanded by Rear Admiral F. F. Ushakov, discovered the Turkish fleet (18 battleships, 17 frigates, and 43auxiliary vessels) lying under the protection of shore batteriesnear Cape Kaliakra. Using a bold tactical maneuver (breakingthrough between the shore and the enemy fleet), Ushakov dis-rupted the enemy’s battle formation, cut him off from shore, andopened up with his own well-aimed guns. Kapudan Pasha Hu-sayn, the Turkish commander, and Sayyid Ali Pasha, the com-mander of the Turkish advance guard, were unable to reorganizeand counterattack. Having suffered serious damage, the Turkishships retreated. The victory at Kaliakra led to the conclusion of the Jassy Peace Treaty of 1791.

References in periodicals archive ?
A small ship with illegal immigrants has been detained in Bulgarian Black Sea waters near cape Kaliakra, the Bulgarian Interior Ministry reported.
The ring was found from an excavation site at Cape Kaliakra, located about 12km west of the Black Sea coastal town of Kavarna in northeast Bulgaria, the city's municipality announced in a (http://www.
Edinburgh-based Melrose Resources plc announced the discovery and early entry into production of three new natural gas deposits in the Black Sea off Cape Kaliakra.
At Cape Kaliakra, ruins on top of the 60-metre cliffs date back to prehistoric times.
The medieval poison ring was discovered at Cape Kaliakra near the town of Kavarna, along Bulgaria's northern Black Sea Coast.