Central House of Journalists

Central House of Journalists

 

a Moscow club of journalists. Founded in March 1920 as the Press House, it was reorganized in 1938 into the Central House of Journalists attached to the central committee of the press workers’ trade union, and in 1959 it was transformed to the Journalists Union of the USSR.

The basic tasks of the Central House of Journalists are to raise the political, cultural, and professional level of workers in the press, radio, and television and to organize journalists’ leisure time. The Central House of Journalists holds all-Union and Moscow seminars for journalists; meetings and press conferences with government, party, and public figures, scholars, masters of literature and the arts, and foreign press delegations; exhibitions of works by news photographers and press artists; and screenings and discussions of new cinema and television films. There are lecture agencies on theoretical problems of Marxism-Leninism, fundamentals of Soviet journalism, and photo reporting, a press club for editors of scientific-technical journals, a university for worker correspondents, and creative sections on publicistic work, scientific writing, editing, and publishing.

There are journalists’ houses and clubs in a number of other cities, including Leningrad, Tallinn, Perm’, and Vladimir.

Full browser ?