Central Scientific Research Institute of Geodesy, Aerial Photography
Central Scientific Research Institute of Geodesy, Aerial Photography, and Cartography
a scientific research institution of the Central Board of Geodesy and Cartography under the Council of Ministers of the USSR. The institute was founded in 1928; its first director was F. N. Krasovskii. It carries out research in geodesy and gravimetry; aerial photography and photogrammetry; cartography; instrumentation; and the economics and organization of production in topography, geodesy, and cartography.
In geodesy and gravimetry, the institute studies theoretical problems and develops new geodetic methods. In particular it deals with the following: the determination of the figure, dimensions, and gravitational field of the earth on the basis of geodetic astronomical, gravimetric, and satellite data; the study of present-day movements of the earth’s crust by geodetic methods; and the improvement of theories and methods of constructing geodetic control networks.
The institute performs research in the theory and methods of aerial photography and photogrammetry, as applied to the compilation and revision of topographic maps and charts, as well as in the mapping of the moon, Mars, and Venus. In cartography, it develops methods of compiling and publishing thematic maps and carries out research in the standardization of geographic names. It has also helped compile a number of atlases.
The institute develops, designs, and makes instruments for use in geodetic astronomy, gravimetry, aerial photography, photogrammetry, and cartography. It has an experimental optical-instrument plant.
The institute’s research in the economics and organization of production deals with the creation of automatic control systems and the development of theories and methods pertaining to planning and to the setting of norms for labor and for material and technical resources.
The institute provides graduate training. It publishes Trudy (Transactions) as well as informational bulletins. More than 200 issues of Trudy were published between 1929 and 1977.
S. A. SALIAEV