Zhangjiakou

(redirected from Chang-chiakow)
Also found in: Dictionary.

Zhangjiakou

or

Changkiakow

(both: jäng-jēä-kou), Mongolian Kalgan, city (1994 est. pop. 615,300), NW Hebei prov., China, near a gateway of the Great WallGreat Wall of China,
series of fortifications, c.3,890 mi (6,260 km) long (not including trenches and natural defensive barriers), winding across N China from Gansu prov. to Liaoning prov.
..... Click the link for more information.
 and on the Beijing-Russia RR. A major trade center for N China and Mongolia, it has food-processing plants, machine shops, and tanneries. The meeting place of caravans traveling from Beijing to Ulaanbaatar, it was an important military center under the Manchu dynasty but declined somewhat after the opening (1905) of the Trans-Siberian RR. In 1928 it became the capital of Chahar prov., which was abolished in 1952. The name sometimes appears as Chang-chia-k'ou.

Zhangjiakou

, Changchiakow, Changchiak'ou
a city in NE China, in NW Hebei province: a military centre, controlling the route to Mongolia, under the Ming and Manchu dynasties. Pop.: 973 000 (2005 est.)