Cheliabinsk Polytechnic Institute

Cheliabinsk Polytechnic Institute


(full name, Lenin Komsomol Cheliabinsk Polytechnic Institute), one of the largest higher technical-education institutions in the USSR. Founded in 1943 as an institute of mechanics and machine building, it was reorganized as a polytechnic institute in 1951. In 1968 the institute was given the name “Lenin Komsomol.”

As of 1977, the Cheliabinsk Polytechnic Institute comprised departments of metallurgy, machine technology, automated machinery, motor vehicles and tractors, engines, instruments and automation, construction engineering, instrument-making, electric power, and industrial and civil construction. The institute has a branch in the city of Zlatoust and nine evening departments and divisions, five of which are located in the cities of Miass, Kopeisk, and Kyshtym, at the Cheliabinsk Tractor Plant, and at the Cheliabinsk Metallurgical Plant. There is a correspondence department, a preparatory division for workers, and a graduate program.

The institute has 76 subdepartments, a scientific computer center, two student computer centers, and a scientific research section that includes one special-problems laboratory, nine laboratories for research connected with branches of the national economy, and a student bureau of design. There are five specialized councils for the defense of doctoral and candidate’s dissertations. The research library contains 1.3 million volumes.

In the 1976–77 academic year enrollment at the Cheliabinsk Polytechnic Institute was approximately 21,000, and there were more than 2,300 instructors and research workers, including one academician of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR, 34 professors and doctors of sciences, and 560 docents and candidates of sciences. Since its founding, the institute has trained more than 45,000 engineers.