Chepikov, Konstantin Romanovich
Born Dec. 12, (25), 1900, in Vladimirskoe, in what is now Smolensk Oblast. Soviet geologist. Corresponding member of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR (1953). Member of the CPSU since 1919.
Chepikov graduated from the Moscow Academy of Mines in 1929. Between 1929 and 1939, he served on the staffs of various research and production organizations of the petroleum industry; from 1930 to 1932, he was the director of the Geological Oil Exploration Institute. He was on the staff of the Institute of Geological Sciences of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR from 1939 to 1954, becoming the head of the institute’s petroleum laboratory in 1947. From 1954 to 1957, Chepikov was the deputy director of the Institute of Petroleum of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR. After the Institute of Petroleum was reorganized as the Institute of Geology and Fossil Fuel Treatment, he became the head of the institute’s laboratory in 1957.
Chepikov’s main works deal with problems of stratigraphy, lithology, and tectonics, as well as with formation conditions for reservoir rocks, the migration of oil and gas, and the estimation of oil and gas reserves in the Northern Caucasus, the Volga-Ural region, Siberia, and Sakhalin.
Chepikov received the State Prize of the USSR in 1946. He has been awarded the Order of the October Revolution, two other orders, and various medals.