Also found in: Wikipedia.
a city and the administrative center of Cherdyn’ Raion, Perm’ Oblast, RSFSR. It is situated on the right bank of the Kolva River, near the confluence of the Kolva and the Vishera River. A landing is located 8 km from the city on the Vishera. Cherdyn’ is 111 km north of the Solikamsk railroad station.
Archaeological data show that the inhabitants of a settlement on the site of modern Cherdyn’ carried on trade with the Volga Bulgars in the ninth and tenth centuries. The city is known to have existed since at least 1472, when it became part of the Muscovite state. The Cherdyn’ Road, an ancient route through the Urals and Western Siberia, began at Cherdyn’. Salt was mined in the Cherdyn’ area in the 16th century, and a metallurgical plant was built in the 17th century. Cherdyn’ became a district capital in 1781 and part of Perm’ Province in 1796. It was an important trade center in the 19th century.
The lumber industry plays an important role in the city’s economy. Cherdyn’ has a forestry technicum and the A. S. Pushkin Museum of Local Lore, which was founded in 1899, is located in the city.
REFERENCESChagin, G. N. Cherdyn’: Kratkii istoricheskii ocherk. Perm’, 1972.
Izproshlogo Cherdynskogo kraia. Perm’, 1974.