an ancient road through the Urals to Western Siberia. From the city of Cherdyn’, the road went upward along the valleys of the Vishera, Veslui, and Pochmoga rivers. It then went through the drainage divide to the Tal’tia River and down along the Ivdel’, Loz’va, Tavda, and Tobol rivers. The Cherdyn’ Road was the only road to Siberia established by the government during the first years after the fall of the Siberian Khanate in the late 16th century. Around 1590, Loz’va was founded on the Cherdyn’ Road. In 1598 the shorter Babinov Road became the official road, and the Cherdyn’ Road lost its importance.