Cherepovets(redirected from Cherepovec)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
Cherepovets(chĕrĭpəvyĕts`, chĕrĭpô`vyĭts), city (1989 pop. 310,000), NE European Russia, on the Rybinsk Reservoir. A rail and water transportation center of the Volga-Baltic WaterwayVolga-Baltic Waterway,
canal and river system, c.685 mi (1,100 km) long, N European Russia. It links the Volga River and the St. Petersburg industrial area. It consists of the Moscow-Volga Canal, the Volga River, the Rybinsk Reservoir, the Mariinsk system (composed of the
..... Click the link for more information. , it has an iron and steel complex that supplies St. Petersburg's metallurgical industries. Chemical plants for the production of fertilizers and lumber mills are found there.
a city under oblast jurisdiction and the administrative center of Cherepovets Raion, Vologda Oblast, RSFSR. Located on the Volga-Baltic Waterway. Port on the Rybinsk Reservoir. Railroad station on the Vologda-Leningrad line. Population, 246,000 (1977; 32,000 in 1939). The city is divided into two districts.
Cherepovets originated as a sloboda (tax-exempt settlement) near the Voskresenskii Monastery, which was founded in the 14th century. Cherepovets became a city in Novgorod Namestnichestvo (vicegerency) in 1777 and the capital of a district of Novgorod Province in 1780. The population of the city, which is situated on the Sheksna River, worked on the Mariinskaia Water System. Cherepovets was the administrative center of Cherepovets Province from 1918 to 1927 and then became the administra-tuve center of a raion in Leningrad Oblast. Since 1937 it has been the administrative center of a raion in Vologda Oblast. During the Soviet period the city has become an industrial center.
Cherepovets is an important center of ferrous metallurgy and the chemical industry; in addition to the Cherepovets Metallurgical Works, these industries are represented by a steel-rolling mill, a chemical plant, and a nitrogenous fertilizer plant. The city has a plywood and furniture combine and ship-building and ship repair yards. It also produces metal structural components, garage equipment, and building materials. Cherepovets has a pedagogical institute, a branch of the Northwest Correspondence Polytechnic Institute, metallurgical and forestry machinery technicums, and medical and music schools. There is a museum of local lore with an art department featuring paintings by V. V. Vereshchagin, a native of Cherepovets.
Cherepovets consists of a small old section, whose main street is Sovetskaia, and a new section, dating from the late 1950’s, where the Leningrad State Institute for the Design of Metallurgical Plants is located. The new section was built according to a general plan (1951–58, architects A. A. Ol’ and others), and its principal streets, such as Lenin, Metallurgi, Lomonosov, and Stalevary, are lined with large-block and large-panel buildings. Mass housing construction is under way, and a number of large public buildings have been erected, including a motion-picture theater (1958, architects I. V. Zholtovskii and others) and the Palace of Metallurgists. Cherepovets was awarded the Order of the Red Banner of Labor in 1977.
REFERENCESBlank, A. S., and A. V. Katanikov. Cherepovets, 3rd ed. Vologda, 1966.
Cherepovets (picture book). [Vologda] 1972.
Cherepovets. Vologda, 1977. (Covers 200 years of the city’s history.)