(redirected from Christopolis)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Wikipedia.

Monrovia, city, United States


city (1990 pop. 35,761), Los Angeles co., S Calif., in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mts.; inc. 1886. The city's diversified manufactures include computers and electronic equipment. Mt. Sierra College is there. Angeles National Forest, including the San Gabriel Wilderness, is nearby.

Monrovia, city, Liberia


(mənrō`vēə), city (1986 est. pop. 465,000), capital of the Republic of Liberia, NW Liberia, a port on the Atlantic Ocean at the mouth of the St. Paul River. Monrovia is Liberia's largest city and its administrative, commercial, communications, and financial center. The city's economy revolves around its harbor, which was substantially improved by U.S. forces under lend-leaselend-lease,
arrangement for the transfer of war supplies, including food, machinery, and services, to nations whose defense was considered vital to the defense of the United States in World War II. The Lend-Lease Act, passed (1941) by the U.S.
..... Click the link for more information.
 during World War II. In 1948 the first port capable of handling oceangoing vessels was opened; there are now several ports, including a free port. The main exports are latex and iron ore. The city also has extensive storage and ship repair facilities. Manufactures include cement, refined petroleum, food products, bricks and tiles, furniture, and pharmaceuticals. Roads and railroads and an airport connect Monrovia with Liberia's interior. The Univ. of Liberia (1862) and Cuttington College and Divinity School (1889; Episcopal) are in the city. Monrovia was founded in 1822 by the American Colonization SocietyAmerican Colonization Society,
organized Dec., 1816–Jan., 1817, at Washington, D.C., to transport free blacks from the United States and settle them in Africa. The freeing of many slaves, principally by idealists, created a serious problem in that no sound provisions were
..... Click the link for more information.
 as a haven for freed slaves from the United States and the British West Indies and was named for James Monroe, then president of the United States. Life in Monrovia was severely disrupted in the 1990s and 2000s by civil war, which left thousands homeless and the city's economy in ruins.



capital of the Republic of Liberia, located on the Atlantic Ocean at the mouth of the St. Paul River. Population, 150,000 (1972). The climate is subequatorial: January’s average temperature is 26.5°C; July’s average temperature is 24.4°C. Precipitation is about 4,000 mm per year.

Monrovia has been designated as a special district, administered by a municipal board appointed by the president. Founded in 1822 by Negro American immigrants, it was named for US President James Monroe. Monrovia became the capital of Liberia in 1847.

A major port, Monrovia is the country’s principal trading center. It handles such exports as iron ore (which is comes by rail from deposits in the Bomi Hills, Bong Mountains, and Mano River valley), rubber, palm kernels, and palm oil. The port’s freight turnover is about 12,500,000 tons (1971). A highway junction, Monrovia has an international airport at Robertsfield, 60 km away, and the Spriggs Payne Airfield, within the city limits. The city’s industries include woodworking, food processing, and production of building materials. Monrovia also has an oil refinery.

The city has a regular layout. The legislative assembly building (the Capitol, built in the 1950’s) is among the important public buildings. Residential buildings for the most part are twoand three-story wood and stone structures with verandas and mansards. The city has a monument to the first president of Liberia, J. Roberts (1960; sculptor, N. Cataudella).

The University of Liberia (founded in 1951) and its library, the Geological, Mining, and Metallurgical Society of Liberia, and the Government Public Library are located in Monrovia.


the capital and chief port of Liberia, on the Atlantic: founded in 1822 as a home for freed American slaves; University of Liberia (1862). Pop.: 614 000 (2005 est.)