parish(redirected from Civil parishes)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Wikipedia.
1. a subdivision of a diocese, having its own church and a clergyman
2. the churchgoers of such a subdivision
3. (in England and, formerly, Wales) the smallest unit of local government in rural areas
4. (in Louisiana) a unit of local government corresponding to a county in other states of the US
5. the people living in a parish
6. on the parish History receiving parochial relief
the smallest administrative district in the Christian church, the center of which is a church.