stanitsa (large cossack village) and settlement educational institutions for the cossack estate in Russia (the Don, Orenburg, Ural, and other cossack hosts).
Cossack schools appeared in the 19th century. By 1910 they numbered 5,510, including 73 secondary schools and one higher educational institution (the Aleksei Don Polytechnic Institute). A great deal of attention was devoted to the military training of the pupils. Until 1916 the cossack schools were under the jurisdiction of the Administrative Directorate of the Host and of the atamans of the military sections of the corresponding cossack host. In 1916 the cossack schools were placed under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Public Education with regard to administrative and educational matters.