council(redirected from Council (government))
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Wikipedia.
1. a body of people elected or appointed to serve in an administrative, legislative, or advisory capacity
2. Brit the local governing authority of a town, county, etc.
3. Brit provided by a local council, esp (of housing) at a subsidized rent
4. Austral an administrative or legislative assembly, esp the upper house of a state parliament in Australia
5. Christianity an assembly of bishops, theologians, and other representatives of several churches or dioceses, convened for regulating matters of doctrine or discipline