cockscomb(redirected from Coxcomb (ornithology))
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus.
[Gr.,=unfading], common name for the Amaranthaceae (also commonly known as the pigweed family), a family of herbs, trees, and vines of warm regions, especially in the Americas and Africa.
..... Click the link for more information. .
1. A piece of sheet steel with a toothed edge along the long dimension; used to level and scratch plaster to produce a key for the next coat; a comb.
2. A tool consisting of a steel plate having a finely serrated edge; used to dress stone by dragging it back and forth across the surface.
1. an amaranthaceous garden or pot plant, Celosia cristata, with yellow, crimson, or purple feathery plumelike flowers in a broad spike resembling the comb of a cock
2. any similar species of Celosia
3. the comb of a domestic cock