customs(redirected from Customs (tax))
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Wikipedia.
1. duty on imports or exports
2. the government department responsible for the collection of these duties
3. the part of a port, airport, frontier station, etc., where baggage and freight are examined for dutiable goods and contraband
4. the procedure for examining baggage and freight, paying duty, etc.
5. (as modifier): customs officer
A government organization responsible for levying taxes against imported and exported items that exceed duty-free allowances. Customs staff is required to be available at every international airport.