West Virginia University, mainly at Morgantown; coeducational; land-grant and state supported; est. and opened 1867 as an agricultural college, renamed 1868. It operates 15 schools and colleges, including those of law, dentistry, medicine, nursing, and pharmacy, on two campuses at Morgantown. There are branch campuses at Parkersburg, Charleston, Wheeling, and Keyser and five off-campus graduate centers. The university also maintains the state agricultural experiment station, an extensive university farm system, forestry and engineering camps, experimental forests, a biological station, and facilities for coal and energy research.