Derby(redirected from Derby, Derbyshire, England)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical.
Derby(där`bē), English horse race, instituted (1780) by the 12th earl of Derby and held annually at Epsom Downs, near London. The race is open only to three-year-old colts and fillies that must be entered when yearlings. The original course is still used; it is one yard longer than one and one-half miles. Hundreds of thousands of spectators view the race each year. Other well-known races, notably the Kentucky Derby (dûr`bē), held each year since 1875 at Churchill Downs, Louisville, Ky., have been named for the English classic.
Derby(där`bē, dûr`–), city and unitary authority (1991 pop. 218,026), central England, on the Derwent River. It was formerly county seat of DerbyshireDerbyshire
county (1991 pop. 915,000), 1,016 sq mi (2,632 sq km), central England. The county seat is Matlock; Derby, the former county seat, is now administratively independent of the county.
..... Click the link for more information. but became administratively independent of the county in 1997. Manufactures include automobiles and airplane engines, pottery (see Derby wareDerby ware
, English china produced at Derby since about 1750, when William Duesbury opened a pottery there. The china was close in style to contemporary Chelsea ware and Bow ware, whose factories Derby absorbed in the 1770s.
..... Click the link for more information. ), synthetic textiles, beer, machinery, and chemicals. The city is also an important rail center. Derby was a Roman settlement and, in the 9th cent., one of the Five Boroughs of the Danes. England's first silk mill was built there in 1718. Derby is the birthplace of the philosopher Herbert SpencerSpencer, Herbert,
1820–1903, English philosopher, b. Derby. In 1848 he moved to London, where he was an editor at The Economist and wrote his first major book, Social Statics (1851), which tried to establish a natural basis for political action.
..... Click the link for more information. . Noteworthy are the Cathedral of All Saints, with its Perpendicular tower (1509–27), the Roman Catholic Church of St. Mary (designed by A. W. PuginPugin, Augustus Charles
, 1762–1832, English writer on medieval architecture, b. France. His writings and drawings furnished a mass of working material for the architects of the Gothic revival. Among them is Specimens of Gothic Architecture (2 vol., 1821–23).
..... Click the link for more information. in 1838), the arboretum, the chapel of St. Mary of the Bridge, and a grammar school founded in 1160. The Univ. of Derby and a teacher-training college are also located in Derby.
Derby(dûr`bē), city (1990 pop. 12,199), New Haven co., SW Conn., at the confluence of the Naugatuck and Housatonic rivers, opposite Shelton; founded 1642 as a trading post, inc. as a city 1893. Its copper industry and pin manufactures date from the 1830s.
a country town in Great Britain, on the Derwent River. Administrative center of the county of Derbyshire. Population, 220,000 (1970). It is a railroad junction and has railroad workshops. Automobiles and aircraft are manufactured, and there are other branches of transport machine building. It has a textile industry (cotton, silk, and chemical-fiber cloth), and there is production of knitted, lace, and leather goods and porcelain articles. There are specimens of architecture of the 14th to 19th century (St. Peter’s Church, Town Hall, and the cathedral). It has an art gallery.
a horse-racing event of purebred three-year-old Thoroughbreds over a distance of 2,400 m (on foreign racetracks, 2,414 m, or 1.5 miles). The derbies were initiated by Lord Derby in 1778 in England and were introduced in Russia in 1886. In the USSR derby competitions are known as the All-Union Grand Prix. In a number of countries, the USSR included, the term is also applied to the season’s main event for four-year-old trotters and in the Federal Republic of Germany, to the leading steeplechase.