in Vladimir, a landmark of Russian architecture; one of the best works of the Vladimir-Suzdal’ school. The cathedral was constructed in 1194-97 and was initially a part of the complex of the prince’s palace.
The Dmitriev Cathedral is an example of a one-cupola, four-columned church. A strictly elaborated tectonic and proportional structure and an abundance of sculptured facade decorations that produce the effect of tracery impart grandeur and solemn splendor to the cathedral. In the interior there are the remnants of a fresco painting from the 12th century, The Last Judgment, the work of Russian and Byzantine masters.