Dmitrii Ivanovich Burdin
Burdin, Dmitrii Ivanovich
Born Aug. 17 (30), 1914, in Tsaritsyn, now Volgograd. Soviet architect; Honored Builder of the RSFSR (1966). Member of the CPSU since 1965.
Burdin graduated from the Moscow Institute of Architecture in 1937 and completed the graduate school of the Academy of Architecture of the USSR in 1941, where he studied under A. K. Burov and G. P. Gol’ts. He was deputy chief architect of Moscow (1963) and participated in the planning and construction of the city of Magnitogorsk (1948-52). Burdin is one of the leading designers of a television center in Moscow (1967-70; awarded a Lenin Prize in 1970), of the city airport in Moscow (1960-65), of USSR pavilions at international exhibitions and of the USSR mission building of the European section of the United Nations in Geneva (Switzerland, 1959), and of the Degunino-Beskudnikovo residential area in Moscow (1964). He has been awarded two orders and various medals.