Double Ditch State Historic Site

Double Ditch State Historic Site


Location:7.5 miles north of Bismarck on ND Highway 1804.
Facilities:Interpretive signs.
Special Features:Overlooking the Missouri River, Double Ditch Indian Village was a large earthlodge village inhabited by the Mandan people between about 1500 and 1781. The remains of earthlodges, midden mounds (trash heaps), and fortification ditches are clearly visible. The village was abandoned because of the smallpox epidemic that swept the interior of North America in 1780-81. By 1800, the Mandans had been reduced to as few as 1,200 individuals.
Address:c/o State Historical Society of North Dakota
612 E Boulevard Ave
Bismarck, ND 58505

Phone:701-328-2666
Fax:701-328-3710
Web: www.state.nd.us/hist/doubleditch/doubleditch.htm

See other parks in North Dakota.