a city (an urban-type settlement until 1967); administrative center of Drogichin Raion, Brest Oblast, Byelorussian SSR. Located 7 km from the Drogichin railroad station on the Zhabinka-Luninets line. Drogichin has a cream and cheese dairy, a tractor repair plants, and a food concentrates combine. A mixed-feed plant is being built (1972).
Drogichin, originally a fortress, came into existence as a city in the mid-12th century; it was the capital of the Principality of Drogichin. Devastated in 1240 by the Tatars, it was later occupied by the Lithuanians. In 1569 the city became part of Poland; the beginning of its decline can be traced to this period. Drogichin suffered severely in 1702 as a result of the Northern War of 1700-21. In 1807 the city was returned to Russia, where it was a district center from 1808 to 1842.