Also found in: Wikipedia.
an icedome in the middle sector of the Davis Sea, 78 km north of the coast of Antartica, in the area of the Mirnyi station. Area, 204 sq km; maximum altitude 327 m. Its shores are steep ice cliffs 23 to 46 m high. The island was discovered in 1912 by the Australian antarctic expedition of D. Mawson. Participants of the Soviet antarctic expedition of 1956 were the first to set foot on it and study it; in 1960 the Soviet temporary meteorological station Mir operated for 2½ months on the island, which is named after E. Drygalski.