Also found in: Wikipedia.
a city in Hungary, on the right bank of the Danube, in Fejer megye (county). Population, 44,000 (1970). It has a railroad station and a river port. The city grew up during the years of the people’s power on the site of the village of Dunapentele in connection with the construction of the Danube Metallurgical Combine, which began in 1950. Most of the workers employed in industry (approximately 10,000) work at the combine. Dunaújváros also has textile and clothing factories, a factory for the manufacture of cellulose (from straw), and food-processing plants.
The residential quarters of Dunaújváros, which are being constructed according to a standard plan, are separated from the industrial zone by a protective forest belt. Perimeter construction predominates—standard three- and four-story houses with inner courtyards with trees and shrubs. A number of new, free-design neighborhood units, with buildings with different numbers of stories, were built in the 1960’s. The main public buildings (the Party House, the City Council, a hotel, a department store, and a theater) are situated along the main north-south avenue. Frescoes by E. Domanovszky (1955) decorate the building of the board of directors of the metallurgical combine (early 1950’s, architects L. Lauber and J. Szendröi).