Mentioned in ?
References in classic literature ?
And before Dantes could open his mouth -- before he had noticed where the jailer placed his bread or the water -- before he had glanced towards the corner where the straw was, the jailer disappeared, taking with him the lamp and closing the door, leaving stamped upon the prisoner's mind the dim reflection of the dripping walls of his dungeon.
The dungeons were never empty; the streets of almost every village echoed daily with the lash; the life of a woman, whose mild and Christian spirit no cruelty could embitter, had been sacrificed; and more innocent blood was yet to pollute the hands that were so often raised in prayer.
It was hope -- the hope that triumphs on the rack -- that whispers to the death-condemned even in the dungeons of the Inquisition.
And now, will you shut me up in your dungeons to pay me for my kindness?
I don't say there are not toads in the dungeons," replied Baisemeaux.
I myself had once been a prisoner of the cruel hordes of northern Warhoon, and the memory of the underground dungeon in which I lay still is vivid in my memory.
My informer said that they lay now in one of the many buried dungeons of the palace where they had been placed pending a decision as to their fate by the tyrant of the north.
The walls of these dungeons are as thick as some bed-chambers at home are wide--fifteen feet.
The vaults were, it was believed, used as dungeons in the old times-- say, some centuries since.
Alleyne, wretchedly ill and weak, with his head still ringing from the blow which he had received, crawled up upon deck, Water-swept and aslant, it was preferable to the noisome, rat-haunted dungeons which served as cabins.
We're not in the habit of shutting people up in dark damp dungeons," said Marilla drily, "especially as they're rather scarce in Avonlea.
Now they only answer the purpose of caves, or rather dungeons.
Encyclopedia browser ?
- Dundee International Guitar Festival
- Dundee, Angelo
- Dundee, John Graham of Claverhouse, 1st Viscount
- Dundes, Alan
- Dundich, Toma
- Dundonald, Thomas Cochrane, 10th earl of
- Dundreary, Lord
- Dundy County
- dune complex
- Dunes, Battle of the
- dung beetle
- Dung Beetles
- Dung, Nguyen Tan
- Dungans of Middle Asia
- Dungeness National Wildlife Refuge
- Dunglison, Robley
- Dunham, Ethel Collins
- Dunham, Katherine
- Duni, Egidio
- Dunikowski, Xawery
- Dunin-Martsinkevich, Vikentii
- Dunin-Martsinkevich, Vikentii Ivanovich
- Duniway, Abigail Jane
- Duniway, Abigail Scott
- Dunkerque Operation of 1940
- dunking sonar
- Dunklin County
- Dunlap, William
- Dunlop, John Thomas
Full browser ?
- Dungeon Dice Monsters Online
- Dungeon Dwellers' Fantasy Boardgame
- Dungeon Eternal X
- Dungeon Family
- Dungeon Fighter Online
- Dungeon Keeper
- Dungeon Kill Points
- Dungeon Master
- Dungeon Master Linux Edition
- Dungeon Master's Guide
- Dungeon Master's Player Character
- Dungeon Master-Friendly Initiative
- Dungeon Masters Association
- Dungeon Sea Online
- Dungeon Shell
- Dungeon Siege
- Dungeon siege 2
- Dungeon Siege Tool Kit
- Dungeon Siege: Legends of Aranna
- Dungeons & Dragons
- Dungeons & Dragons (TV series)
- Dungeons & Dragons Miniatures
- Dungeons & Dragons Online
- Dungeons and Dragons
- Dungeons and Dragons 3rd
- Dungeons and Dragons, 3rd Edition
- Dungeons of Doom
- Dungey Carter Ketterer Pty. Ltd.
- Dunghill fowl
- Dunglison, Robley
- Dungquat Economic Zone Authority